Standing still isn’t an option in our warp-speed world. A workplace must transform with its people, or risk becoming a dinosaur. It’s true here in Orange County and true in our JLL corporate headquarters in Chicago, too. As we’ve undertaken an employee-led renewal and transformation of both our local offices and our corporate headquarters in Chicago, we’ve armed our best strategic experts with insights from the people who influence JLL’s success most – our employees.
We’ve applied those lessons on a grand scale. In Chicago, we’re renewing six floors, 200,000 square feet of offices for 1200+ people over 18 months. Locally the scale is slightly smaller – but the same rules apply. One size does not fit all, and our employees have an instinct for what enables their productivity and collaboration.
Our OC office completed underwent office refresh three years ago and it is the gift that keeps on giving! The upgrades continue to boost collaboration, productivity and creativity. And our employees love having the café right in the office to unwind.
Whether you are transforming 1500 or 100,000 square feet, one floor or ten, have 50 employees or 1000, your business will undoubtedly face similar challenges. So we’re sharing five things to think about as you begin your own journey of revitalization:
1. COMPANY CULTURE: The company’s culture affects every facet of its operations, including the character of the workplace—where culture is most clearly felt. Being on top of workplace trends can help you create a space that reflects the kind of culture you want to foster and maintain.
2. SITE SELECTION: After you decide whether to move or stay, you’ll want to use sophisticated technologies and expert analysis to select the best location for your organization. Your headquarters can have an enormous impact on your brand, your people, your shareholders and your company’s future. At the same time, it’s a major investment of your firm’s financial and human capital. You want to feel confident you’ve secured the optimal solution.
3. WORKPLACE PRODUCTIVITY: Different spaces work for different faces. Even the most modern workplace may not suit your organization. Make sure the space you’re designing enables your business and is suited to the way your employees want to work.
4. BUILD-OUT: Choose the right architect and construction firm, and engage a project manager with the skills and experience to ensure that each phase of the renovation is executed properly. Real estate and construction decisions are often fixed and long-term, which is why your layout shouldn’t be.
5. MOVING IN: Once your project is complete, prepare your employees to transition into their modern office and enjoy all its new features. Check out our week-by-week moving checklist to make for a seamless transition: https://www.officerenew.com/articles/week-by-week-office-move-checklist#article-title-bar.
Sure workplace revitalization is a process. Often times it has a long timeline and requires careful planning. There will be many surprises, disappointing setbacks and satisfying victories. In the end, however, creating a workplace that will thrive for years to come is priceless.
Tweet this: Renovating your workspace? @JLL shares 5 things 2 think about as you begin your journey of revitalization #officerenew bit.ly/28ONhP3